Monday, March 1, 2010

Childhood Memories

Never thought I would be one to start a blog, but now that I'm home a lot, I have extra time on my hands!! So to get started, I will tell you a little about my life!
I was raised primarily by my Mother, as my parents got a divorce when I was 3 years old. I moved around quite a bit after the divorce, but finally ended up in New Vineyard in 1996. By far, I have the fondest memories of my childhood living in that small town! I loved my home, close neighbors, the nearness of Porter Lake, and the back roads that me and my brother rode our bikes up and down. I had so much fun playing in our woods, digging in our sandpit, and catching frogs in our "frog pond"! I never had a care in the world!!
I started school in the fall of 1996, when I was almost 7. I attended a private Christian school that was a part of our church. My first year there was horrible to say the least! I had no desire to leave my mom everyday just so I could sit at a small desk and learn how to read and spell correctly. The only part I really enjoyed about school were the trips to the swing-set after we had completed our work for the day. My small class of 6 would swing, sing songs, then have a story time out in the field by the school. I loved those special times!
My elementary years dragged on, and I was usually bored in school. I had amazing teachers who were extremely patient with me, and I was taught and challenged with my work. However, I always seemed to have it finished before lunchtime. So the rest of my afternoon was spent reading, reading, reading. This is when I truly fell in love with books.
I rarely was allowed to watch tv at homes, so I became a lil bookworm! I devoured books and was always searching for something new to read. Quickly, I fell for the adventures locked up in The Hardy Boys, Sugar Creek Gang, and Nancy Drew. I let my imagination run wild and would then re-create the adventures with my neighbor friends. We would play for hours outside; trading off who could be the bad guys, and who got the special privelge of being the hero. Often, I got stuck playing the girl who didn't have much part in the story, but I found other ways to weedle into the fun!
As I got older, my taste in books changed, but not my love for them! I moved on to more challenging things, and slowly started perusing works by Charles Dickens. Soon, my favorite store was Twice Sold Tales, and I would search the shelves for Dickens' books. I quickly became fascinated with old Classics, and started saving my money to start my own collection.
School was still dragging, and by this time, I was in my final high-school years. I did enjoy school, but counted the days when I could be done, and finding something different then what had consumed my life for the past 13 years. My life had changed a lot in the past year, details I will save for a different blog, but I no longer had the family I had grown up with and loved. I now lived with my father, and was building a relationship with a man I never really knew. My father is amazing! I can't believe how much I missed in my childhood years without him! Quickly, I found how similar our personalities were, as well as our dry sense of humor, and the good-nature kidding that leaves people wondering if we are serious or not. My months living with my dad are ones I will always cherish!
School is now over, and as I think back to all the wonderful childhood memories I have, I cannot wait to re-create the fun I had with my lil baby on the way. I look forward to becoming a mother, and can't wait for the memories we will make together!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers